Let me start by laying out my reasons for creating this class:
• Looking for abilities that resonate with the player-base. (Feedback is appreciated and encouraged, but please construct your feedback in a way that lets me further develop the class, or tell me what aspects you liked so I may reuse them for a different class in the future.)
• Fill the game design niche Pretender leaves behind (Win condition of becoming King), without requiring the class to complete the win condition for two separate classes. (Or at least make it rewarding/entertaining to do so.)
• Have no way of mechanically confirming yourself, unless that confirmation results in your immediate victory or completely shakes up the way the game plays.
• Remove the safety of claiming openly.
Without further ado, here’s the Usurper
Ballot Mixing (Passive): During elections for a new King, votes for you count twice. If an election you stepped forward for has no clear winner, you win the election.
King Nothing (Passive): If you are the only surviving player in a game, you win.
Coup D’état (Day Ability): Execute the King and take his crown, becoming a Usurper King. 1 use
• Only enabled while a King is on trial.
• Functions as though the King had used Decide Fate(Execute) on himself.
• Public feedback: Player [X] staged a coup and has become the Usurper King!
Blood Test (Night Ability): Test target player for Royal Blood. Infinite Uses
Regicide (Night Ability): Attack target player. 2 uses
• If target is The King, or has Royal Blood, 1 use of Regicide is regained if the attack succeeds. (A King with Royal Blood only restores 1 charge)
• Attack bypasses healing.
Be crowned The King and survive to see all who would oppose you lose. (Defeat BD, Cult/Unseen and NK).
Notes: Incompatible with all classes
The Usurper King
Totalitarian Regime (Passive): The King cannot be voted up for trial. If no trials have taken place when the voting phase concludes, whoever the King is currently voting for is put on trial. If a day ends without a player being executed, gain 1 charge of Killer Guards.
All classes except Prince can target the Usurper King with their abilities.
Improved Tenacity (Passive): Occupy and redirect immune. Can talk at any point during a trial. Immune to abilities that make a player bleed.
Decide Fate (Day Ability): Decide an accused player’s fate. Infinite uses
Killer Guards (Night Ability): Attack target player. The guard will die in your place if the player is protected. 1 use
• Does not count as visiting.
Paranoid Guards (Night Ability): Become Death Immune tonight. Occupy and Kill all players who attack you. 2 uses
• Attack bypasses Death Immunity and healing.
Survive to see all who would oppose you lose. (Defeat BD, Cult/Unseen and NK)
Notes: Compatible with most Neutral classes
Coronation: When crowned, the Usurper becomes a Neutral (Not Announced)/Usurper King(Announced).
I am undecided on which King the Usurper should become if they are crowned the old-fashioned way. Let me know which you would prefer.
Elections resulting in a draw were the worst feeling for the Pretender. Giving Usurper a better version of Royal Blood is an easy fix. The name is to keep the spirit of the Pretender alive.
One of the main design issues with the Pretender was that the class had to complete two separate win conditions to actually win, and had a hard time limit to do so (Can’t be elected in a court with too few players) This ability allows the Usurper an alternative if they fail to be crowned.
Sometimes being discreet doesn’t work. This ability hard confirms you as Usurper King, but this isn’t a problem from a balance perspective, as all non-neutral players must work together to defeat you.
Due to the synergy between Totalitarian Regime and Decide Fate, openly claiming a Neutral class until it is certain there is no Usurper in the game is very ill advised. When a Usurper is crowned, the court will have a large incentive to vote neutrals up for trial, as they are the only classes a Usurper King can ally with. Ability has infinite uses to avoid the court all voting Pardon on every trial.
Your only realistic way of beating a Hunter, outside of an ally Sellsword eating the arrow for you.
Due to the chaos that would undoubtedly ensue when a Usurper King is revealed, I think it’d be very hard to speculate how this class would impact the balance of the game, but I would love to hear your thoughts on the concept, and how you think I could improve it.
I have very little faith this class would ever find its way into the game, but I wanted to give myself some closure on the whole ‘Pretender’ chapter.