Scroll down to the bottom for TL;DR.
I wish that occupiers were not investigators and it seems many agree. I’ve also come to the conclusion that this can be implemented (at least in theory) if we get 100% rid of occupation immunity in any form, without relying on the RNG of determining priority based on number.
I agree with what is described as the ‘prevailing opinion’ at wiki.mafiascum.net:
- Suppose Roleblocker A blocks Roleblocker B, who blocks Roleblocker C, who blocks Roleblocker D, who blocks Doctor E. If Roleblocks are resolved in such a way that conflicts are minimized, A blocks B, preventing B from blocking C, thus C blocks D, preventing D from blocking the Doctor - in short, the Doctor’s protection would have an effect. If all Roleblocks are simultaneous, the only player who is NOT technically Roleblocked is A; the Doctor would be blocked.
However they deem mutual role-blocks (and by extension, longer loops of roleblocks e.g. A blocks B blocks C blocks A) as ambiguous.
In order to prevent roleblockers from learning any information other than they were successful, or were themselves roleblocked instead, (again, having investigative powers goes against the spirit of the class), we simply tell every roleblocker in an unbroken loop that they were occupied. And even though they successfully occupied their target, we do NOT let them know this.
Here is how the logic would play out:
- Identify every loop of occupiers.
- Identify every occupier NOT targeted by another occupier.
- Occupy the targets of everyone identified in step (2).
- Identify anyone in a loop who is now occupied.
- Identify anyone sharing a loop with anyone identified in step (4).
- Mark everyone identified in steps (4) and (5) as NOT being in a loop.
- Occupy everyone in a loop who has not been marked in step (6).
- Identify every occupier NOT occupied.
- Occupy the targets of everyone identified in step (8).
A occupies B occupies A.
- Both will be informed they were occupied, but not that they occupied anyone.
A occupies B occupies C occupies A.
- Same as above. All are occupied; none are told they occupied anyone.
A occupies B occupies C occupies D occupies E.
- A, C, and E will NOT be occupied. B and D will though.
A occupies B occupies A. C occupies A.
- A will be occupied by both B and C.
A occupies B occupies C occupies A. D occupies E occupies A.
- Everyone is occupied except D.
It would be interesting to know if this system hasn’t been implemented because someone just disagrees with it, or if it’s because of a lack of theory for how to handle every possible case, or just plain difficulty of execution.
One last thing:
Occupy occupies occupies occupied occupy, occupy occupy occupies. Occupy.