In patch 2.1.0 the devs took the first step towards trying to make the game easier to understand through consistency and clarity. Regardless of how you view their execution of this, the core idea is great. However, the system being used right now feels incomplete. Here is what I think should be done to make the game as consistent as possible.
Note: Some of these suggestions will change some fringe case interactions. Doing that isn’t the point of this post as this isn’t about balance at all so I will try to avoid this, however I wont try to force it especially in the case of feedback messages.
Most class actions should have keywords associated with them. Any reused effect should have at least 2. In addition there should be a logic behind keywords and how they are used as a whole
Proposed Keyword list:
- Kill - If this successfully resolves on a player they are removed from the game (optional)
- Attack - An type of ability that overtly kills a player. Kills that don’t use the attack keyword are not attacks
- Heal - Negates a kill and removes bleeding and poison. Notifies the target
- Visit - When using a targeted ability you will visit the player you use the ability on, this can be seen by some ability’s or can trigger some effects
- Investigate - Any ability which has no effect and but gives information. This information can be directly altered by other ability’s and keywords. Ability’s which do not use the investigate keyword cannot have their feedback altered
- Occupy - Prevents a target from preforming their night ability. They will not visit anyone
- Redirect - Changes the target of an ability. An ability with no target or anyone doing nothing will be immune
- Convert - Changes the class of target player to the Unseen or Cult
- Bleed - Target player will be killed on the second night of bleeding. You will be notified if you start bleeding
- Poison - Target player will be killed on the first night of poisoning
- Frame - A player effected by frame will appear identical to the Assassin or Cult Leader to investigations
- Tailor - A player effected by a tailor will appear as a blue dragon member to faction investigations
- X Immunity - Ignore the effects of X keyword. If you would normally be told about the keyword effect you will instead be told you were immune to it. You will not be told about a failed conversion attempt
In addition to the main keywords there should be secondary keywords that modify the main effects and their interaction with each other. Modifiers should be listed out under an ability’s main effect and not in the main block
- Piercing - Makes the ability ignore immunity (would be on: Execute, Gather darkness, Defend, Bear and Frenzy)
- Brutalizing - The attack cannot be healed (would be on: Execute, Reap, Ruthless Efficiency, Defend, Possess, Empower and Frenzy)
- Invisible - Makes the ability investigate as if you did not preform any action (would be on: Killer Guards and Allies)
- Intangible - Makes the ability not count as visiting for non-investigations (would be on: Killer Guards, Brotherhood and Frenzy)
Replace all instances of death immunity with attack immunity
Replace kill with attack when appropriate.
Replace die with be killed when possible.
Abilities that effect targeters now say visitors. Non-visitors that they effect will be invisible but not intangible when needed
Princess/Maid/Sheriff/Paladin/Observer would use the Investigate keyword in their ability’s (Ex: Investigate if target player is Unseen, Investigate who target player visits)
Knight - Defend: If any attackers visit target player then negate their kill and attack them. You will kill yourself ignoring heals if you attack anyone this way. Piercing, Brutalizing
Chronomancer - Time Warp: If target player would be killed you will heal them. If you do then they will be attacked in 2 nights.
Distort reality: If target player is going to be killed as a result of your Time warp then negate it and kill someone else instead. If they are attack immune then they will survive
Pocket dimension: If you would be killed tonight you will heal yourself. If you do then you will be attacked in 2 nights.
Ritualist - Brotherhood: Target player will appear as Blue Dragon to faction investigations. Intangible
Reaper - Reap: Attack target player. If you kill someone this way they will appear alive the next day and you will gain 1 soul. Brutalizing
Gather Darkness: Reap will be Piercing tonight
Circle of death: Attack everyone visiting target player
Enforcer - Frenzy: The Assassin will be immune to Occupy and Redirection tonight. Their attack will be Piercing, Brutalizing and intangible
Drunk - Debachery: Redirect your first target to your second. You do not visit your second target
Possessor - Puppet Strings: Puppeteer your first target to attack the second. You do not appear to visit the second target. You will hear whispers to and from your puppet the next day
Possess: Attack target player. If you kill someone this way you will take over their body and logs. Your body will be shown to die instead of them and everyone will be shown your old logs. If they survive for any reason you will regain the use of the ability. Brutalizing
Probably more would be required that I’m not thinking about