I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 6 of the Mafia Championship.
The Mafia Championship is an annual forum-based tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.
The tournament first started back in 2013. Since then, 270+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.
It’s a super fun event that has created many new friendships and close bonds between communities. I hope that you would be interested in taking part
1. DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITATION?
If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to eevee as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot. Currently, the plan is to accommodate 187 communities this season (last season featured 170 communities), and if interest is high enough we will expand even further to 204.
If your community agrees to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 26, but the sooner the better.
The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.
- You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
- In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate (a back-up) who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
- Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 600 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis!
2. SEASON 6 FORMAT
The tournament structure:
- 187 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
- QUALIFIERS: 11 Qualifying Games will be played, consisting of 17 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifying Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st place will advance directly to the Finale Game (i.e. 11 of the 17 finalists are found this way), while the 2nd place finishers will advance directly to one of the two Wildcard Games.
- WILDCARDS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 5 will discuss and vote to determine 23 players in total deserving of a second chance. They will play in 2 Wildcard Games along with the aforementioned 2nd place finishers that advanced directly to these games. From each game, three players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.
- THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 6 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.
The setup: Mad17
Each of the following 17 roles will be assigned at random to one player in the game without regard for the player’s alignment. Each role is restricted to using its action only on the nights listed on the chart.
|Alignment Cop||n2 Only||1x Ninja|
|Alignment Cop||n3 Only||1x Ninja|
|Roleblocker||n1, n2, n3|
|Role Cop||n1, n2, n3||1x Strongman|
|Jack of All Trades(Role Cop, Tracker, Roleblocker)||n1, n2, n3|
|Jack of All Trades(Doctor, Jailkeeper, Voyeur)||n1, n2, n3|
|Voyeur||n1, n2, n3, n4||1x Strongman|
More information on Mafia Universe.
Relevant mechanics info:
- Day start.
- Role reveals at death are alignment only. You will not learn a player’s exact role when they die.
- Deadline Lynch. I.e. day does not end at majority.
- If there is a tied lynch, one of the tied players will be randomly lynched.
- No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
- Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize your representative into a game with deadlines that suit their preferences).
- Thread is locked during Night Phases.
- Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO.
- The mafia faction kill is assigned and can be tracked, watched, blocked, etc.
- The mafia faction kill is optional on Nights 1 to 4 and mandatory on Nights 5 and beyond.
- Usage of night actions is optional, but unused actions will be lost.
- Mafia members may perform the faction kill in addition to their regular action at the same time.
- The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals roles automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).
3. SEASON 6 TIMELINE
There will be 11 Qualifying Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates during the months of April, May and June. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.
Wildcard games will be played in July, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).
If you want to get in contact with an organiser asigned to your community ASAP, you can find them on Discord (Exce#0538).
Voting round 1 is over.